Hey Guys!! Welcome back to another interesting blog from Foodie. Today its Pickling. Pickling is a process of preserving raw ingredients to extend lifespan, flavor & texture. My raw ingredient for pickling is White Shrimps or Prawns. This is one among the treasured family recipe given to me by my grandma. It screams South India- with the tart flavor from the vinegar, slight sweet and nuttiness from the coconut oil, spiciness of the chilly powder & ginger and a dash of ground fenugreek seeds. Prawn pickle is usually a poor mans lunch accompaniment. Its best with just plain rice.
Recipe : Prawn Pickle Kerala Style
- 400 g prawns or white shrimps
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
For the Masala paste
- 150 g ginger (cut into dices)
- 200 g garlic
- 3 tbsp chilly powder
- ¼ tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml vinegar
- 200 ml coconut oil (for frying)
- 2 springs of curry leaves
- 2 slit green chilies
Marinate the prawns and keep aside. Blend all the ingredients for Masala paste except for curry leaves and slit green chilies. Add vinegar to make a smooth paste. Fry the prawns till golden and keep in a flat container to cool down. Make sure there is not moisture in the container with prawns. In same oil, add the curry leaves and green chilies. Finally add the paste and cook it thoroughly till the oil floats which is a sign that its cooked. Add the prawns to the paste and let it cook together for few mins. Garnish with curry leaves and serve with plain rice.
- Do Not Add Water while blending as water gives rise to mould. It spoils the pickle.
- The quantity of ginger can be increased if the chilly powder is not spicy.
- While storing the pickle, make sure there is no moisture in the container.
Thank You Guys ! Hope you’ll enjoy it!!